Whether pinning dream homes on Pinterest or taking notes as friends and family members buy or build, most buyers have a list of “must-haves” and desired qualities in their future home. While some features are more realistic than others, and some depend on budget and location, there are a few desirable qualities that are consistent among most buyers.
1. Walk-in Closet Studies show that buyers value closet storage more than attic and basement storage space, and a walk-in closet in the master bedroom is consistently one of the most important features buyers are looking for.
2. Master Bathroom Having a bathroom accessible from the master bedroom is another “must” for some buyers. Other desirable bathroom features include a vanity/makeup area, two sinks, a separate shower enclosure, and linen closets.
3. Two-car Garage During the time period that many homes were built, it was typical for families to only own one car, hence a one-car garage. Today, a two-car garage is a necessity for most people – in addition to having room for two cars, the garage is often treated as additional storage space for lawn and outdoor equipment.
4. Laundry Room Having in-home laundry is essential for most buyers. Bonus points if the laundry is on the main level, and if the laundry room also features cabinets, counter space, and a utility sink!
5. Updated Kitchen For many buyers, much of their time is spent in the kitchen and having updated appliances and a modern design is at the top of their list when looking for homes! Desirable features include a double kitchen sink, stainless steel appliances, pantry space, granite, marble or quartz countertops, and stylish cabinetry.
6. Outdoor Space Here in Wisconsin, the amount of time we can spend outside is limited to just a few months of the year. Because of that, we want to make sure that there is space outside our home to relax during those warm months. Many buyers are looking for a deck or patio space, a fenced back yard, and mature trees for shade and privacy.
Which of these are absolute necessities for you, and which could you do without? Share with us in the comments!