Some of us love to clean, and some just don’t. Some of us give our homes a good cleaning every spring, some every Saturday, and some can’t remember the last time they got out a mop or dust cloth. Regardless of how diligent of a cleaner you are, there are almost certainly some spots you’re missing! Check out this list of areas in our homes that most of us are probably forgetting to clean.
1. The Mattresses It’s gross to think about, but dust is made up mostly of dead skin cells. So where might you find the most dust? On your mattress! If you wash the sheets and bedding frequently, that’s a good step. But we should also be running a vacuum over our mattresses now and then to get rid of dust particles, as well as flipping the mattress occasionally.
2. Around the Fridge
Underneath and on top of the fridge aren’t very visible areas, so it’s easy to let them go far too long without being cleaned. Next time you do a deep clean, do your best to get in those hard-to-miss areas!
3. Inside the Fridge Some of us may be better at this than others, but it’s not hard for messes to accumulate inside the fridge! This can be tedious since it usually involves temporarily removing everything from inside the fridge, but it’ll give you a chance to wipe up crumbs and sticky messes from that casserole last spring. ;)
4. Ceilings If you, too, have neglected your ceilings for a while, look up! Odds are, you’ll find some lingering spider webs and specks that can be dusted or wiped off. For a deeper clean, make a cleaning mixture of warm water, dish detergent and white vinegar.
5. Shower Curtains
Most of us spend a fair amount of time cleaning inside the tub or shower, but don’t think much about cleaning the curtain. Throw it in the washing machine with a couple of towels and add a half cup of baking soda during the wash cycle and a half cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle, then air dry! Easy!
6. Light Fixtures & Ceiling Fans
Before dusting a room, make sure you get the light fixtures! Cleaning the fixtures changes the lighting of the entire room…but doing it before dusting everything else will prevent you from having to re-dust from everything that falls!
Blinds are probably more “avoided” than “forgotten about” – they’re tricky to clean! Depending on the material, you can use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment, a duster, or a damp cloth.
8. Window Tracks
It doesn’t take much for window tracks to accumulate dirt and dust. Just take a vacuum attachment to the area, and then use a spray bottle of white vinegar and let it sit for a bit. Use paper towels and q-tips for those hard-to-reach areas!
9. Dishwasher & Washing Machine
It’s strange to think about cleaning appliances that clean things, but it’s necessary! Clean out the dishwasher filter, and then run a cycle on hot with a cup of white vinegar in the top rack – it will help remove soap scum and clogged food debris! As for your washing machine, pour a mix of white vinegar and baking soda into the washer, and run the cycle on hot.
10. Door Knobs & Light Switches
When you think about the surfaces that we touch the most, what comes to mind? Door knobs and light switches are toward the top of the list, and yet most people don’t think to wipe them down from time to time, especially in your own home. Spray a little disinfectant on a cloth and give those areas a good clean!