With limited activities and events this summer, many of us are finding that we have a lot more time on our hands than in summers past. Whether you’re already a golfer, or you’re looking to pick up a new hobby, golfing is an excellent way to enjoy our beautiful Wisconsin summers while also practicing safe and healthy habits amidst a pandemic. Here are 10 public courses to check off your list as you golf your way across Dane County:
1. Odana Hills Golf Course This beautiful city course is a par-72 and proves to be a challenge for golfers of all levels! Its west side location is convenient for both Madison residents and visitors just passing through.
2. Yahara Hills Golf Course
This 36-hole city course is situated in the rolling hillside and is Madison’s largest facility – enjoy two 18-hole championship courses with beautiful water features and unique and challenging holes.
3. Pleasant View Golf Course
This gorgeous Middleton course is situated about 300 feet above Lake Mendota, providing stunning panoramic views of Madison, including a view of the Capitol building! Enjoy 27 holes, plus a 9-hole par 3 course.
4. Hawks Landing Golf Course With 65 bunkers and water features on 9 holes, Hawks Landing is a challenging course for even the best golfers. Take in views of the natural terrain and the stunning residences along the way.
5. University Ridge Golf Course University Ridge is not only the home of the Wisconsin Badgers, but was also rated the #1 golf course in Wisconsin by Golflink. On top of that, University Ridge is also a member of the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program, and is home to a portion of The Ice Age Trail – hello, wildlife!
6. Meadows of Six Mile Creek This beautiful and affordable Waunakee golf course was highlighted in the 50 best places to play golf in Wisconsin, and features an artistic blend of bent-grass greens, tees and fairways that are home to sand hill cranes, red fox, yellow winged blackbirds and more.
7. The Oaks Golf Course Just minutes from Madison in beautiful Cottage Grove sits The Oaks, a family-owned championship 18-hole golf course. Golfers of all skill levels will enjoy the stunning views and be challenged along the way.
8. Kestrel Ridge Golf Course
Located just northeast of Madison in Columbus, Kestrel Ridge is a short drive from both Madison and Milwaukee. Enjoy scenic countryside views and over 6,000 yards of challenging golf.
9. Door Creek Golf Course An award-winning course situated in Cottage Grove, Door Creek offers 27 holes of golf, including an 18-hole championship course and a 9-hole course called Lost Creek. Don’t forget to stop by during winter for the indoor virtual golf simulators!
10. Lake Wisconsin Country Club With panoramic views of Lake Wisconsin, the Lake Wisconsin Country Club is known as one of the best-kept secrets in the area. After your round, stick around for the Friday night fish fry – a true Lake Wisconsin experience!
What are your favorite courses to play in the Madison area? Share with us in the comments below!